· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Election News
· Patriots Defeat Government Takeover
· Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace
· Marriage Opponents Expand Efforts
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, September 30, 2008
"Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the days." (Matthew 28:20)
The Daily Brief
1. Bailout Bill Now Goes to the Senate - AP
Senate schedules Wednesday evening vote on deal that includes hike in federal deposit insurance limit.As the House of Representatives picks up the pieces of its defeated economic bailout bill, the Senate has scheduled a vote Wednesday evening on a deal that includes an increase in the federal deposit insurance limit.The news of a Senate vote came Tuesday night after congressional leaders spent the day scrambling to find out what changes are needed to get the $700 billion rescue plan approved. The House's vote Monday defeating the bailout bill sent shockwaves through Wall Street and world markets. The Senate's version adds tax legislation - including a set of popular business tax breaks.
· When an issue is this complex, this far-reaching, and even this "epochal," how shall we pray? May we offer two suggestions? First, let's simply yield our tongues to the use of the Holy Spirit, for our Father is omniscient and He IS building His Kingdom in our midst! And second, thank you, Lord, for the prayer You taught Your disciples to pray . . . "Our Father . . ."
· The Lord's Prayer: Matthew 6:10. Praying in the Spirit: Romans 8:26,27. AMEN!
2. Pence Calls on Conservatives to Stop Bailout That 'Nationalizes' Bad Mortgages - CNS News
Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) is calling on conservatives to oppose the $700 billion financial industry bailout negotiated over the weekend, because he believes it will permanently change the relationship between the government and the financial sector while giving the government the power to "nationalize almost every bad mortgage" in the country.
· Heavenly Father, our nation is in a state of turmoil. Because of fraudulent behavior of officials to fatten their own pocketbooks, our nation's economy is in stress. Please bring forth all the leaders necessary to straighten this mess out and give them boldness!
· The Lord turned to Gideon and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?" . . . The Lord answered, "I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together." (Judges 6:13, 16)
3. House rejects $700B bailout in stunning defeat - AP
In a vote that shook the government, Wall Street and markets around the world, the House on Monday defeated a $700 billion emergency rescue for the nation's financial system, leaving both parties' lawmakers and the Bush administration scrambling to pick up the pieces. Dismayed investors sent the Dow Jones industrials plunging 777 points, the most ever for a single day. A brutal round of partisan finger-pointing followed the vote.· Thank You, Lord that our leaders are taking a hard look at what this bailout bill entails. When things are done In haste, grave mistakes are made. Please block provisions to the bill that are crooked and wasteful. Give our leaders fortitude and wisdom.
· He shall say: "Hear, O Israel, today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not be terrified or give way to panic before them." (Deuteronomy 20:3)
4. World Stocks Hit by U.S. Bailout - AP
The historic carnage on Wall Street reverberated across Europe on Tuesday, with stocks volatile after U.S. lawmakers rejected a $700 billion bank rescue plan. Asian stocks fell. Britain's benchmark stock index, the FTSE 100, fell by as much as 3% in early trading, with particularly sharp declines in the banking sector. But the index of 102 companies then recovered, trading down only 0.15% at 4,811.33 by late morning. "This is a bad development," Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd told reporters in Australia's capital, Canberra. He urged U.S. lawmakers to urgently return to negotiations to come up with a deal that will prevent further infection of world markets.
· Ironically, by the time we wake up here in the States, a lot of the action on Wall Street has already been somewhat predetermined by trading that has taken place overnight in Europe and in Asia. But the good News is that CHPP is now aligned with prayer warriors at the global level, who each are also bringing the activities of their own exchange markets before the Lord, just as we are here on Wall Street. Stand in agreementWith those intercessors, and pray for a calming of the world markets. Rebuke envy, greed, and a "mine" attitude. Pray for a spirit of cooperation among the nations, asking the Lord especially to protect the economy of the USA Pray for the Lord's mercy.
· "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he will reign for ever and ever." (Revelation 11:15)
5. $6.6 billion in special projects rides on federal spending bill - USA Today
A $630 billion spending bill nearing final approval in Congress includes $6.6 billion for thousands of lawmakers' pet projects, including $51.5 million requested by Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden when both presidential candidates have sworn off seeking any money. It combines spending bills for the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs, as well as nearly $30 billion in disaster relief for flood and hurricane victims and up to $25 billion in loans to automakers.
· Lord, we pray that our leaders will not put more burdens on the taxpayers. There are too many earmarks in our projects that are already unnecessary. Bring forth leaders who will quickly cut this gluttony and waste by our government.
· Then I will come down and talk with you there. I will take of the Spirit that is upon you and will put the same upon the elders and officers and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, that you may not bear it yourself alone. (Numbers 11:17)
6. Family Advocates: Don't Panic over Financial News- CitizenLinkPro-family leaders have some advice regarding the financial news coming out of Wall Street and Washington: Don't panic. "It's important not to panic," said Gary Bauer, founder and president of American Values. "The last thing the country needs is a run on the bank. We have systems in place, but people need to understand this is not just politics, and it's not a bunch of people in Washington exaggerating a problem. . . . "This is an attempt to try to prevent bad decisions from hurting people that had no part in them."
· In Judgment, our Lord shows His mercy. As we each examine our personal financial "portfolio," let's be sure that it is rooted and grounded in the Word of God and in GIVING to those in need -- a cardinal principle of Kingdom living. Thank our Lord that He does not desire for any of us to perish, but to even thrive and survive in times of need . .. . that we might yet serve as His ambassadors to a lost and fallen world.
· "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jer. 29:11)
7. U.S. Military's Africa Command Set To Start - AP
The U.S. Africa Command, known as Africom, the Pentagon's first effort to unite its counterterrorism, training and humanitarian operations on the continent, launches Wednesday amid questions at home about its mission and deep suspicions in Africa about its intentions. But many in Africa see it as an unwelcome expansion of the U.S.-led war on terrorism and a bid to secure greater access to the continent's vast oil resources.
· Heavenly Father, as our nation reaches out to do more work in the world, we pray that our people will have Your favor with other nations. Let them through Your Holy Spirit learn to trust us and let us be worthy of that trust.
· Then the Spirit came upon Amasai, chief of the thirty, and he said: "We are yours, O David! We are with you, O son of Jesse! Success, success to you, and success to those who help you, for your God will help you." . . . (1 Chronicles 12:18)
8. Iraqi Christians Protest End to Legislative Quotas - AP
Iraq's prime minister sought safeguards Sunday for small religious communities in this mainly Muslim country as Christians protested parliament's decision to stop setting aside seats for minorities on provincial councils. Iraq's Christians have been targeted by Muslim militants since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003, with priests, churches and Christian-owned businesses attacked. The violence has led many Christians to flee the country.
· Lord, You will to have Iraq be a free nation from intimidation and brutality. We pray that the Christian church in Iraq will be protected in a special way so that Christians will be free to spread the gospel and truly free the people.
· And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed." (Mark 16:20) Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. (Acts 2:41)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "The mighty God, even the Lord, hath spoken, and called the earth from the rising of the sun unto the going down thereof. Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God hath shined." (Psalm 50:1-2)
1. Olmert Calls for the Division of Jerusalem - ABC News
Ehud Olmert is still the prime minister of Israel. Despite his resignation announcement, he remains the man in charge until a replacement is confirmed.
2. Olmert: Israel should quit most occupied land - Ynet News
Israel should withdraw from nearly all territory captured in the 1967 Middle East war in return for peace with the Palestinians and Syria, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was quoted on Monday as telling a newspaper
3. Bibi: I'll resume settlement activity - Jerusalem Post
Binyamin Netanyahu will resume building in existing West Bank settlements if he is elected prime minister, the opposition leader told Walla! News on Sunday.
This Week's Presidential Prayer Guide:(II Kings 13:16) "Take the bow in your hands," he said to the king of Israel. When he had taken it, Elisha put his hands on the king's hands."
Pray that the Lord would put His hands on the man of His choice for president (and his team) and guide them in this election.
1. Election fraud charge filed in Milwaukee - AP
Worker had quota to fill, complaint claims. A Milwaukee resident was charged Monday with election fraud, the first charge in an investigation into voter registration workers who submitted fake names to the city in what a complaint says amounted to a quota system. According to the complaint, Endalyn Adams, 21, is accused of submitting dozens of fake names and addresses as a registration worker paid by the Community Voters Project, one of two primary groups under scrutiny.
· Lord, we pray that before the election, these people who are committing fraud things will be caught and punished. Let the punishment be severe so that people can understand the seriousness of the crime. Let the election not be stained by these actions!
· There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. The house of the wicked will be destroyed, but the tent of the upright will flourish. (Proverbs 14:11,12)
2. Attorneys believe Rezko is talking to prosecutors - AP
Convicted political fixer Antoin "Tony" Rezko [a former very close friend of Senator Obama] has been quietly visiting Chicago's federal courthouse, setting off speculation that he may be spilling secrets to prosecutors in return for a lenient sentence. The federal government has spent years investigating whether patronage jobs were handed out legally under Blagojevich, and Rezko might shed additional light.
· We thank You, Lord that secret, hidden things are being revealed that must be taken care of. What caused our economy to go down needs to be revealed so we can correct it. We pray for transparency in our government and leaders.
· What the wicked dreads will overtake him; what the righteous desire will be granted. When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever. (Proverbs 10:24, 25)
3. Veep Nominees Train for Face-Off
With only two days until the only vice presidential debate of '08, Biden and Palin aren't taking anything for granted.
· As they prepare for this historic debate, lift up Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and Delaware Senator Joseph Biden, asking they be graced with "wisdom from above." Begin to pray now for the actual debate -- that all questions would be raised "fair and square," and that all issues that need to be addressed, in the perfect will of God, are addressed.
· "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
4. Flighty Votes from Little ACORNS Grow - Family Research Council
Writing in today's Washington Times, former Senators Warren Rudman (R-N.H.) John C. Danforth (R-Mo.) call on both campaigns to work together to reduce incidents of fraud this election year. They point out how both campaigns have squads of attorneys for either self-protective or nefarious reasons and that "before the 2004 presidential election, lawyers filed more than 60 lawsuits concerning voting procedures."
Writing elsewhere columnist Mona Charen brings up a glaring example of how wary we need to be about voter fraud this November 4th. Her column exposes the uber-liberal, taxpayer-funded Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN). ACORN says it is "the nation's largest grassroots community organization of low- and moderate-income people." However, their two main accomplishments appear to be perpetuating voter fraud and furthering their reliance on the federal trough. ACORN employees are under investigation in a number of places, most of them battleground states.
Both candidates need to do everything in their power to ensure that voter fraud does not occur. · Pray in agreement with that last statement!
· "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
Patriots Defeat Government Takeover
Patriots Defeat Government Takeover
But Brace Yourselves For the Next Assault On Your Money and Property
National outcry from patriotic Americans caused lawmakers to blink on the final vote to consummate a Democratic Party-White House alliance to foment a nationalization of private property and finances disguised as a rescue plan for the taxpayer. But Americans still need to be vigilant as the socialist forces are regrouping with another run at a government takeover of the economy. This time, they will repackage the "bailout" bill and put a marketing spin on it pointing toward the near record losses on Wall Street and imminent financial disaster if the plan is not implemented. Wall Street stocks plummeted some 777 points after brokers found out they may have to take responsibility for their own greedy actions.
The White House and the Democratic leadership in Congress out and out lied to the American people that the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 was a long term benefit to those who were losing their homes to bad mortgage decisions. Homeowners were subject to the very same foreclosure rules currently in place unless they are minorities or low income, where special leniencies would apply. But the bill is aimed solely at the federal takeover of banks, saving associations, credit unions, security brokers and dealers and insurance companies, designating them as "financial agents of the federal government."
Changes currently being discussed do not address the federal takeover. They will focus on "giveaway" details that will gain the support of enough congressmen to pass the plan to seize control of the US economy. News organizations are reporting that the Bush Administration and congressional leaders are holding ongoing meetings to "assess what type of changes are needed to win over enough votes to guarantee success." Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, formerly the Chairman of Wall Street investment bank Goldman Sachs, used scare tactics after the vote saying that failure to pass the bill will make it hard on Americans to borrow money.
Interesting that Goldman Sachs was boosted by a $5 billion investment from billionaire Warren Buffet and was leveraging the purchase of troubled assets that will be bought by the federal government if the bill passes. Here is the sordid deal: Financiers of Wall Street and of political campaigns will make billions from taxpayer money being used to buy up bad business deals consummated by these Wall Street scoundrels. One world order politicians and socialists will, in turn, get complete control of the mortgage and banking industries under the absolute power of the federal government. Jesus said in Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceive you." Those being deceived are the taxpayers. Stand fast for your nation and pray your congressman does the same.
Word of Life Ministry
Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace
Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace
[A commentary on Pulpit Freedom Sunday, by Tony Perkins, President, Family Research Council]
On Sunday, 31 pastors from 20 states preached "election sermons," applying the truth of Scripture to the records and platforms of persons running for public office. Many American pastors have been conscientiously conflicted since, in 1954, Congress gave the IRS a mandate to restrict churches from endorsing or opposing candidates for office. Some pastors have done so, nonetheless, risking loss of their church's tax exemption. Others have chosen silence. America has been the worse for it.
But what of the freedoms of speech, religion and assembly? After years of ambiguity, these IRS regulations may finally be examined in the light of the Constitution. While Barry Lynn and others are up in arms, and have already filed formal complaints with the IRS, these pastors, working with the Alliance Defense Fund (ADF), have sent or will send video copies of their sermons to the IRS. ADF hopes the IRS will act; that the U.S. Supreme Court will rule on this matter; and that the pulpits of our land will once again hold our nation's leaders to a Biblical standard. The issue has now been forced into the public discourse.
Father Frank Pavone, a member of FRC's Pastors Council and Founder of Priests for Life, has said, "This effort is not about bringing politics into the pulpit; it's about getting government out of the pulpit... It should be church authority, not government authority, that determines the criteria for how pastors should address politics."
· Lord, we praise Your holy name that You have raised up godly men and women of God who are willing to suffer for the sake of the gospel in this nation. Let them be successful in their endeavor and let the courts rule in their favor!
· Nebuchadnezzar spoke, saying, "Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, who sent His Angel and delivered His servants who trusted in Him, and they have frustrated the king's word, and yielded their bodies, that they should not serve nor worship any god except their own God! (Daniel 3:28)
Marriage Opponents Expand Efforts
by Jennifer Mesko, editor
SUMMARY: Polls touted by the mainstream media claim the three amendments could be in jeopardy.
With the election just 34 days away, those opposed to traditional marriage are pulling out all the stops in the three states that will vote on the definition of marriage.
In Florida, homosexual activists have turned a "gay pride" event into an anti-Amendment 2 rally. Come Out With Pride 2008, set for Oct. 12 in Orlando, also will feature an Obama campaign booth. And in California, Google and Levi Strauss & Co. have joined the Hollywood elite in opposing Proposal 8. Earlier this year, Pacific Gas & Electric gave $250,000 to defeat the amendment.
Some polls touted by the mainstream media claim the three amendments could be in jeopardy. But a recent Field Poll revealed that past polls have underestimated support for marriage amendments by as much as 21 percentage points.
"Support for traditional marriage rises considerably when voters cast their ballots in the privacy of the voter booth," said Frank Schubert, campaign manager for California's ProtectMarriage.com. "It is my opinion that the same thing will happen in California when voters cast ballots on Proposition 8."
When California voted on marriage in 2000, pre- election polls showed 53 percent support for Proposition 22. At the end of the day, 61 percent of voters had supported the traditional definition of marriage. And while Hollywood may be piling on the funding, it's far from a sign of victory.
"Regardless of funding by the opposition, voters in 27 states have overwhelmingly approved defining marriage in their state constitutions as one man and one woman," said Mona Passignano, state issues analyst for Focus on the Family Action. "Even though our side is consistently outspent, marriage amendments pass with 70 percent of the vote, on average."
Don't forget to register to vote.
Arizona and Florida voters must be registered by Oct. 6;
California's deadline is Oct. 20.
If you live in these states, please support the marriage amendments on Nov. 4.